Recently Read: February 2018

The past few weeks I've read some great things: an Alaska novel, a memoir about growing up in the segregated south, and some mother-daughter books. Here they are:

1. The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan
I have no idea how this book isn't more popular, but I thought it was spectacular (especially on audio). It was such an interesting look at the way people's backgrounds form who they are as adults. Tan created a story that has stuck with me ever since I read it.

2. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
I have conflicted feelings about this novel. I finished it in less than two days and felt like I was reading it every spare second, but I felt prepared for a big twist at the end and was mostly disappointed. Overall, I definitely enjoyed it but wanted something more from it.

3. I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron
It was my third time through this book and there were still parts where I laughed out loud. One that stood out to me this time was when she was asking why people say you forget the pain of labor, since she remembers it clearly. I've talked about this before but I was like, "YES, EXACTLY!!"

4. The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan
This memoir covers Corrigan's bout with cancer as well as her father's experience with cancer during that same time, with observations about marriage, growing up, and raising children too. I tend to love this type of thing and The Middle Place was well-done and thought-provoking.

5. Coming of Age in Mississippi by Anne Moody
I was blown away by this memoir of Anne Moody, a black girl born into extreme poverty in Mississippi who ends up getting involved in the Civil Rights Movement. I am still in awe thinking of what she went through, the humiliations endured in everyday life and the struggles she went through to end segregation.

Linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy

Comments

Popular Posts