Recently Read: November 2017


I haven't done a recently read post in a long time and I'm excited to get back into it. I've read a ton of great books lately, so here are a few of them:

1. Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller
I just finished this memoir today, and kept marveling over how unique it is. Fuller (who is of European descent) grew up in the African countries of Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Malawi during the 1970s and 80s, and her experiences there seem other-worldly. She also has a gift for writing, and her descriptions were so evocative.

2. Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
This was a reread for me and I'm so glad I decided to give it a chance on audiobook. Coates's book is written for his 15 year-old son and talks deeply about race. I thought it was good when I read it, but listening to it brought the message home in a new way.

3. Digging to America by Anne Tyler
To me, Anne Tyler always produces such a pleasant reading experience, and this book was no exception. She tells the story of two families who adopt daughters from Korea on the same day. The narration switched around so that you were able to experience the story from different viewpoints, making it a well-rounded read.

4. Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan
This is a hard novel to review, because while I could barely put it down and just wanted to read read read all the time, it was also hard emotionally. There was a lot of sadness and grief, hurt feelings, miscommunication and secrets, and the ending was different than I had hoped it would be.

Let me know if you've read any of these and what you thought!

Linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy

Comments

Popular Posts