Ten Books with Interesting Leaders

I'm linking up with the Broke and the Bookish today to share characters that are, in their own ways, interesting leaders. Some are great, some are not, but they all made their mark on those around them.


1. Hazel from Watership Down 
I know he's a rabbit, but honestly I think he has amazing leadership qualities. He knows how to draw his team together, make sure everyone's best traits are recognized, and put a plan in action.

2. Sylvie Todd from Life After Life 
 Her relationship with her children is strained at times, but Sylvie definitely is the heart of Fox Corner. I often think of her saying "Needs must" when in an unpleasant situation.

3. Siegfried Farnon from All Creatures Great and Small 
Siegfried's antics are definitely out of the ordinary, but the Yorkshire Dales' veterinarian practice would be a lot less colorful without him at the helm.

4. Ralph de Bricassart from The Thorn Birds 
Conflicted yet driven is how I would sum up Ralph. He is torn between his love for Meggie and for the Catholic Church, and his rise to leadership within the Church is a big factor for how much of the book turns out.

5. Sally Hemings from Jefferson's Sons 
Sally, the mother of the Jefferson-Heming children, is the calm, steadying influence in her children's lives as they struggle to understand their place in their confusing environment.

6. Miss Jean Brodie from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie 
Jean Brodie is a bit of a weird leader. I can't admit to liking her style or values, but she definitely had a big impact on her studies.

7. Jacob Kahn from My Name is Asher Lev
Jacob Kahn didn't have a starring role in this book, but I felt that his part was vital to helping Asher learn how balance his religion and his passion.

8. Okonkwo from Things Fall Apart
I admire Okonkwo's determination and his commitment to his tribe and way of life. As a leader he is definitely a formidable presence.

9. Wang Lung from The Good Earth
 I love this Pulitzer prize-winning novel about the rags and riches of this Chinese family. Wang Lung, the center character, has strong ideas about the land and farming. Those ideas make him an interesting leader of his family.

10.  John Ames from Gilead
 This lovely novel features one of my favorite characters, John Ames. He is a truly good person, trying hard to figure out what his life means.

Comments

  1. Leadership isn’t just for people. Rabbits can be leaders too. LOL, great list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anyone else who has read James Herriot's books! That's awesome :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/07/top-ten-tuesday-132/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That thumbnail is so beautiful! I don't think I've read a single one of those books, though. LOL I was on hiatus for the entire month of November when I was supposed to write about this fantastic topic on leaders, so I missed it. But I wanted to do it so much that I ended up writing it anyway with my own twist and posting it on the blog weeks later. I couldn’t pass the opportunity!

    Here’s my belated TTT! https://bookslikewolves.wixsite.com/blog/single-post/2017/12/09/Blogmas-Day-9-Characters-Who-Would-Make-Great-Leaders-of-a-Bank-Robbery-Operation

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts